Welcome to St John’s
St John’s is normally open every day from 8.30am and welcomes visitors from all over the world. A wide variety of visitor leaflets are available, including translations into Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Mandarin, Polish, Swedish and Spanish.
Please feel free to pop in to have a look round or just for some quiet time. That’s what we’re here for.
Information for Visitors
As part of our 2017 HLF-funded development project we were able to produce some new interpretation materials, a selection of which are also available as downloads here on the website.
1. Plan of the church, showing items or areas of special interest. This forms part of our visitor leaflet, available in church. Download here.
2. Two page information panel detailing items of interest in the Chancel area of the church, including the medieval anchorite’s cell. Download here.
3. Two page information panel detailing items of interest in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, including the War Memorials. Download here.
Did you Know?
St John’s church contains the earliest known representation of the city’s coat of arms – three silver castles on a red shield – in a window on the north side of the chancel. The glass dates from about 1400.
The castle motif goes back to earliest times. Originally the town took its name from the “New Castle” built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal.